Monday, May 18, 2015

Makeshop Monday: An Interview with Cody

Happy Monday! Today I wanted to introduce Cody Christy. Cody, a sophomore, has done a lot of 3D designing in Mr. White's class, so I asked him to share his experiences with 3D printing and design. Thanks to Cody for the interview (and Mr. White for arranging it!)

What do you make using the 3D printer?
Cody: I usually make really small things that are functional. The last thing I made was a money clip. I liked that I could customize it to fit whatever I wanted, so I made it bigger since the wallet I have that I wanted to replace was too thin. I also made a ring just to see how it turned out; I enjoyed the design part of that project more than my final product. Customizing for yourself is awesome - you can make it however you want it.

How do you DO that?
Cody: It depends on what I'm making. When I made the ring needed accurate dimensions since it needed to fit around my finger and I wanted it to be a certain width; other stuff like wall decorations you can kind of guess at what the dimensions should be since they don't really need to "fit" anything. 

What's your next project?
Cody: Maybe a bracelet, but I haven't yet decided.

Want to try something similar?
Cody: You start by getting ideas from thingiverse then modifying them so that they're customized to what you want. 

If you are interested in designing or customizing designs that can be generated using the 3D printer, see Mrs. Hickman in the library to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment