Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Digital Resources: YouCanBook.Me

Scheduling something among a group of people (regardless of size) can be one of the most time-consuming activities to undertake. Phone calls back and forth, emails providing up-to-date availability, changing schedules leading to starting the whole process over again; it's this kind of task that is a prime candidate for automation and you can book.me gives you just that option. Instead of the back and forth that happens when scheduling a group of people who have several options, you can book.me offers a list of available times that users can click on to schedule. This list can be posted anywhere (email, websites, etc.) and connects directly with your already-existing Google or iCloud calendar. 
You can select the times you are available via the time tab
on the dashboard. The "advanced" tab allows you to limit your
availability to certain days.

Once you sign up (using your Google, iCloud or Facebook log in), you can book me takes you to a dashboard where you can move between tabs to select when you are available to be booked, how long each slot is, and even which dates you are going to show availability.  In the past I have used you can book.me to schedule student-led conferences. Once the conference time is selected, the scheduler (usually a parent or guardian) receives an email confirmation with the details. The meeting automatically shows up on my calendar and I can even schedule a reminder for this event through you can book.me.



YouCanBook.Me user view - I selected for the times that are
not available to be grayed out.
Because there are so many features, it does take some time to work with the program to get your booking schedule exactly as you would like it for your purposes. Since I only wanted it to appear on certain days, I had to figure out where those options were then move between tabs (time, advanced and appearance) to make it as precise, clear and easy-to-use as possible. The benefit to more tabs (with less information in each tab) is that you can book.me has space at the bottom of the page to generate a preview so you can see exactly what your end user will see as you make changes. The benefits far outweigh the time spent working through the learning curve.

Where: youcanbook.me
Cost: Free (with paid upgrades)
What: Google/iCloud connected scheduling software

Students! Try you can book.me if you want to...
schedule people to cover shifts for an event

Teachers! Try you can book.me if you want to...
schedule meetings with parents
schedule individual conferences with students
create a sign up sheet for office hours

No comments:

Post a Comment