Monday, January 4, 2016

Makeshop Monday: 3D Hologram Projector

Caitie Bellotti makes a lot of stuff. So far this year, she's worked on a student production team that made a stop-motion animation video for Open House night, she is in the process of designing a 3' x 12' sign that will go up on the library wall, and these projects are on top of all of the other ones she works on in-between. I interviewed Caitie about her latest project, a 3D hologram projector. 

ARC: What did you use to build your product?
My project is 4 plastic triangles, cut from a CD case using the laser engraver. Each triangle is taped together [to form a square]. 

ARC: What inspired you to make your project?
I found a YouTube video about a year ago, and I was more curious if it actually worked rather than how the finished project would turn out.

ARC: What did you do to actually figure out how to make your project? How did you design it (like how did you figure out measurements, material, etc.)?
Mr. White [the high school tech teacher] mostly guided me through using the correct software in order to make my project successful. I took the size requirements from the video that I got the orignal idea from. To size my item, I used Adobe Illustrator. 

ARC: Did you like making this?
I had a load of fun making this. It was very interesting - I had never done work on the engraver before, and this was truly an amazing first experience. 

ARC: What will you do with your product?


Mr. Lincoln [a middle school tech teacher] is very interested in the project and possibly selling it. Proceeds could maybe go to the school.

A sample 3D projector (not Caitie's actual project)
To make Caitie's 3D hologram projector yourself, you will need:
Clear CD cases
A ruler
A laser engraver (or a box cutter, but be careful these are sharp tools! Appropriate safety measures should be taken when using them!!)

Cut four trapezoids that are 1 cm wide at their narrowest part, about 3.5 cm tall, and about 6 cm wide at the bottom. It's easiest to use graph paper to do this.

Glue or tape the edges of the trapezoid together to form a pyramid shape (the narrowest edges should form a small square and the widest edges will form a large square)

Search for 3D hologram videos on YouTube

Place your projector on top of your device and see your image come to life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment